Thursday, July 14, 2011

en hyggelig eventyr

When I left Copenhagen in May of 2010, I just felt like I wasn't finished. I hadn't gotten to explore all the places that I had intended. I never got to have my picnic in King's Garden. I was getting around the city like a true Dane. I finally learned that you have to go to the grocery store almost every day. My relationships were growing and I felt like I was in the best place I had ever been in my life.

It was not until after I got home that I realized how much I really missed Copenhagen. I missed the fact that every day was an adventure. It sounds odd, but I feel like I am wired to be in an international community, whether it is living abroad or befriending foreigners in America. I decided to help out with the international students at Elon last fall, so I could still feel internationally connected. It was this experience that confirmed my feelings that international education may be the career path for me.

The rest of this story has formed like a puzzle, each little piece coming together to work out perfectly. I decided to apply for an internship at the school where I studied in Copenhagen, the Danish Institute for Study Abroad. I won't go into all the details in between, but I got an interview for the Housing & Student Affairs position, and found out on February 24th that I got the job!! Not many college grads can say they got their dream job right after college....but this is honestly a dream come true! One of my friends asked me the other day, if I could live ANYWHERE right now..where would it be? My immediate answer was Copenhagen.

It was fate that I was to move back to Copenhagen. Not only because I love the city and the people, but also because it would be the ideal stepping stone toward a career in international education. So here I sit, on July 14, just a mere three days away from moving day! I cannot believe it is finally here.

So let me say thank you to everyone who has supported me in this new adventure. I can't thank everyone enough for all the love and encouragement I have received. So follow me now on "en hyggelig eventyr"--a pleasant adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment